This is a very common question that we hear as birth doulas in our prenatal sessions with clients.
Here are some ideas:
- We recommend you take 15-20 minutes (at least) out of your day for mindful relaxation and practice. With all of them, we recommend incorporating “mindfulness” – a focus on the present moment only (versus thinking about the past or future.)
- Listen to guided meditations or relaxations specifically for pregnancy and birth. You can find these wherever you listen to podcasts and through services like Expectful.
- Listen to your favorite, calming music in your headphones.
- Take a bath each evening, working to decompress and not think about anything at all!
- Go for a non-intensive stroll around your neighborhood or by the water at dusk each evening.
- Take a peaceful yoga class – like yoga nidra.
- Take a HypnoBirthing class to learn how to enter a deeply relaxed state.
Birth is often referred to as similar to a marathon, and in a way, that’s true! You would never run a marathon (or 5k) without training first. Consider practicing relaxation to be your birth marathon training.