As the COVID-19 crisis continues around the world, babies are still being born every day and more and more families may need the support of their birth doula, postpartum doula or lactation counselor.
Your family’s health and well-being, as well as ours, is our top priority. We are closely monitoring the situation and will update these guidelines as necessary.
First, we have ensured that all of our team is following guidelines from the Center for Disease Control on “Steps to Prevent Infection.”
If your doula is ill, we will make every attempt to replace or reschedule, if available. We are happy to follow any procedures inside your home as you deem necessary.
While supporting you at your birth, we will comply with your birth facility’s guidance regarding protective steps, and we are always frequently washing hands and using alcohol-based sanitizers. Additionally, we are encouraged by AWHONN’s Position on Doulas with Patients During COVID-19 and agree completely.
During COVID-19 we will provide virtual birth doula support instead of in person support when necessary based on hospital policies. We have created a full package for this offering which you can read more about here.
While supporting you in your home, we always wash our hands with soap and water for at least 20 seconds upon arrival, and always offer to remove our shoes at your door. Please note, if you would like your doula to wear protective gear, such as a face mask, you must provide this equipment.
For our group class participants, we will ask you to wash your hands upon arrival into the class space. As needed classes will be scheduled via Zoom if in person classes are not possible.
For our lactation and massage home visit clients, we will follow these steps to ensure the safety of your family.
Prior to the Visit
1. We screen all clients for symptoms of respiratory infection a day before the visit. In case of a confirmation of possible symptoms of a respiratory infection, a virtual lactation visit will be offered instead via a HIPAA compliant telemedicine platform.
2. We thoroughly clean and disinfect all supplies using EPA-registered and CDC approved disinfectants before every visit.
During the visit
1. Upon arrival, we always wash our hands with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, followed by an application of alcohol-based hand sanitizer.
2. Throughout the visit, we use gloves every time we touch you and/or your baby.
3. If weighing your baby, we will use a disposable chux pad to place on the disinfected scale. You may use your own blanket, if preferred. (Lactation only)
4. We will teach you proper sterilization methods to use on breast pumps, breastfeeding supplies, bottles, and formula as needed. (Lactation only)
Having a baby is an enormous responsibility. Protecting you, your family and ourselves while providing these needed services is of the utmost importance.
We will do our very best to provide the same level of high quality doula support during this COVID-19 crisis that we always provide whether it is in person or virtually.